Instructions to Patients Following Extractions
Day of surgery
- Sucking or interfering with the wound.
- Hot drinks and rinsing the mouth.
- Take painkillers according to the instructions on the packet as required.
- Nurofen (Ibuprofen) seems to work the best but is only for those who don’t get tummy upsets with anti-inflammatory drugs. Definitely no more than 6 tablets in any 24 hours.
- A slight ooze can be expected. If there is more bleeding, apply pressure with a gauze (supplied) for at least 5 minutes. Please contact us if you are concerned about the amount of bleeding.
- Begin mouth rinses using ½ teaspoon salt in a glass of very warm water. Hold in mouth without rinsing. Do this 2 or 3 times daily until you are able to brush that area normally again.
- Continue to take painkillers as required.
- If you find that painkillers are not working and it has been 2-3 days since the extraction then you may have a DRY SOCKET. This is very painful but easily fixed by the dentist placing a dressing in the socket. Don’t be a hero, pop in and let us check it (at no charge).